Saturday, February 7, 2009

06.02.2009 [13 days old]

Mum came into the hospital with me again today. I was able to breastfeed Amelia twice which was nice. I've had lots of people say to me 'why bother' and 'you have enough on your plate without worrying about that' etc, but I really want to breast feed her. I wanted to before she was born, but after giving birth to her and not even being able to touch her for almost a week, let alone cuddle her, I'm really craving that contact with her. So we'll give it our best and see what happens :) Plus the fact that she was having tummy trouble for a while, I didn't want her having formula that was harder for her to digest. So today I breastfed her at 11am and again at 2pm. At 2.30pm, just after her 2pm feed she was lying on a pillow on my lap, looking lovley and relaxed when all of a sudden the alams all went nuts. I asked mum what the monitor was saying (it was behind me from where I was sitting) and she said 'it's 275'. I said 'that's it, she's in SVT' and the next second nurses, docs and cardios all came running in. I swear she looked no different at all. I would never have knows she was in SVT if the alarms didn't go off, which really scared me. They took her out of my arms, put her on her bed and checked her over before icing her. I can not tell you how horrid it is to see that happen. She didn't respond to the ice, so they injected the Adenosine into her IV. Within seconds her heart rate dropped back down to 120ish, and then she threw up everywhere. Her Dr said if it happens at home we have to call an ambulance, ice her until the ambulance gets there and if she's still not out of it, then the ambo's will be able to give her the adenosine. It needs to go into her vein, so it's not something I can give. After an episode of it, she will need to go back into hopsital to have her drugs changed, as they are obviously not holding her out of it anymore. It was not nice to see at all, and Friday night I just didn't have it in me to type it all out here again - hence the late update.

1 comment:

Peahen said...

Oh Katie, I am really really feeling for you. You must be feeling so stretched but if your ever home with a few mins to spare let me know and I will pop in just as someone to vent to and a shoulder to cry on. I just want to hug you. I miss you so much. I understand 100% with the breastfeeding and have to say "Good on you" every feed counts, yes she is getting your milk reguardless but the skin to skin contact it also so special and it is important that if breastfeeding is an instinct to you that you get to do it when you can......for both you and Amelia. I can only begin to imagine how scared you and Brett are when this happens. Remember we are always here if you need to drop the boys off or if you get called in at night (as long as cam is home) I can come over to you. Or even if you want to drop some washing in......don't even think twice, don't be proud, just do it. I do my shopping on Tuesdays, feel free to email me a list if you need anything. Actually email me anytime if you need a shop done. You have so much on your plate and I just want to help. XXX